04.12.2010: Watch Snob: Stop Wearing Panerai

• [align=justify][b][size=12]Watch Snob: Stop Wearing Panerai[/size]

The Watch Snob is in.[/b]

You may think you know watches, but let's be real -- you just don’t. Let me, a true horological aficionado, enlighten your plebeian minds as to what makes a real watch, what you should wear when and what to do with those old watches of yours. All the opinions expressed by the Watch Snob are my own, and are just that -- opinions. Don’t worry, though, AskMen will still be bringing you great features on interesting watches to buy, both old and new, expensive and cheap. For now, let the Watch Snob reign.

Dear loyal Watch Snob readers,

I am taking a week off from answering your common -- and sometimes downright silly -- questions to get something off my chest. Each and every week I receive dozens of e-mails that sound a lot like this:

[i]“I’m a recent graduate of state school X and I am about to start a career in some boring, suited-up field. I want a watch that I think will give me a personality even though it’s apparent to all that I do not have one. Should I buy a Panerai? I once saw a guy driving a BMW with a hot blond sitting shotgun wearing a Panerai or a Breitling (they’re huge and flashy) -- and that’s how you attract attention, right? Please advise, Watch Snob.”[/i]

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? It should because you probably wrote me one of these messages. However, as of right now, I will not be answering anything that sounds remotely close to the above. Get over the hackneyed, mainstream choices and move on to something real. There is nothing, and I do mean nothing, worse than a young man who wears a Panerai watch. These watches were cool five years ago, and even then they were only cool if you were Italian (and I don’t mean Jersey Shore Italian -- I mean actually a resident of Italy). Sure, Sheamus had a Radiomir back in 2004, but after one week of wrist time and the type of attention he received, he ended up trading it in for a vintage Rolex Submariner. If you think wearing a Panerai is cool in the year 2010, you probably also think you invented the boat shoe and the ironic mustache trends.

If you want to know what I think is on the polar opposite end of the authentic and cool spectrum, look at anything from A. Lange & Sohne. This German uber-manufacture is making the best men’s watches in the world right now. Its Datograph is likely the greatest chronograph movement ever made, and it’s just as great to look at as it is to feel start, stop and reset in your hand. If you’re a man of distinction, a man who really has the world by its throat, you need a Lange on your wrist. A Panerai is child’s play -- a cheap toy worn only by clowns. Yes, I said clowns.

Now that I have told you what I think about Panerai once and for all, and also who I believe to be the ne plus ultra of the horological world, can we stop with the recommendation questions?

Sincerely,

The Watch Snob[/align]

[quelle]http://www.askmen.com[/quelle]

• Es gibt öfters im Leben Menschen die der Marke selbst nach einer exzessiven Sammelleidenschaft irgendwann einmal den Rücken zu wenden.....

Ja, Ja.... und es soll schon vorgekommen sein.... dass Jahre später einzelne Herren dieser Fraktion.... einfach und ohne Ansatz....

Rückfällig werden.... und genau dann den Archetyp Ihrer Abneigung vergötternd Ihr Eigen nennen ..... so findet so mancher Schieberegler....

... dann doch ein neues Zuhause ( mittelfristig )

Nicht war Hausel ? :bgdev::bgdev::bgdev::bgdev::bgdev:

:G:G:lol::lol:

:wink:

• Klar, sich überzogen und sarkastisch über so planlose Jungkarrieristen (und Nicht-Italiener) mit fetter Panni am Arm auszulassen, ist witzig, hat aber auch schon soooo 'nen Bart :opa:

Ob bei dieser Zielgruppe 'ne Lange (so toll die zweifellos sind) besser und vor allem glaubwürdiger/passender aussieht, da hab ich so meine Zweifel :grb:

Grüße
    Ulli :wink:

• Quatsch mit Soße - ein Erguss eines verklemmten Mofs. Wahrscheinlich findet er keine Blondine für den Beifahrersitz und die Pams sind ihm einfach zu groß für seine Streichholzärmchen :bgdev: Jeder muss selbst wissen und entscheiden, was er trägt und was ihm gefällt.

Habe die Ehre, Steffen :hut:

Nie sollt Ihr so tief sinken, von dem Kakao, durch den man Euch zieht, auch noch zu trinken. Erich Kästner

• Die Uhrwerke von Lange & Söhne haben Tradition und gehören sicher mit zu den renomiertesten. Wenn die Uhren nur nicht so hässlich wären ... :lol: Die ingenieurtechnisch "beeindruckendsten Uhren" sind für mch aber ganz andere. Eher sowas wie die Citizen Promaster Funk-Solar-Titan ... :verneig: Eine Lange ist nicht genauer oder besser, nur mechanisch komplizierter. Mir reicht es in der Hinsicht, wenn die Uhr einigermaßen die Zeit anzeigt.

Mein Anspruch insgesamt ist: möglichst gut, möglichst einfach, möglichst ästhetisch und stilvoll, und möglichst nicht jedermanns Geschmack. So eine Mischung ist m. M. nach das wirklich Komplizierte. Und das finde ich bei vielen Panerais. Eine Lange z.B. erfüllt für mich nur das erste und letzte Kriterium, die meisten Rolex nur die ersten zwei, vielleicht noch das dritte - aber nicht das vierte.

Man muss einfach nur wissen, was man will. Dann muss man auch keinen watch snob fragen :G

• Hallo Kollegen,

was andere über meine Uhren (Panerai) denken ist mir wurscht, jeder soll tragen was im gefällt und
    was er sich leisten kann, hab meine erste Pani schon ende der neuziger Jahre getragen, da kannte noch
    fast niemand diese Möhren, was mir aber euch egal, ich hatte eben damals schon einen guten Geschmack! :G

Gruß

Kurt :blume: