Geomatic...

• Zitat

Original von mecanique
    Nice Watch!

Full ACK!

Can you tell us more about that modell? I have never seen it before - which should not mean anything, because I am not very deep in vintage watches... ;)

• More information:

This is a ref. E399 Geomatic, powered by a cal. 881G movement. The Geomatic was the automatic successor to the widely acclaimed JLC Geophysic, which was introduced in 1958 and featured the cal. 478b. The Geomatics' featured one of three very similar movements: the 881G, 881S and 883S. All three have 23 jewels, a hacking function, and are chronometre versions of the important cal. 881 movement which was first used in 1959. The 881 was the the predecessor to the superb contemporary JLC 889/2 movement.

The 881G Geomatics, of which 1,700 were produced in stainless steel (there was a gold version as well), were manufactured between 1962 and 1968.

I've attached the production numbers which appeared in the August 2003 edition of Watch Time.

Regards,

Tony C.

• Very nice watch ! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing with us.

What about the outer diameter ? Probably. as "Panerei size" wasn't popular those days, something in the range between 36 and 38 mm ??

kind regards,
    Stefan

• Thank you for the kind comments, everyone!

Stefan – the watch is 36mm (without crown), which is a good size for my small wrist. It is lucky that I prefer vintage watches, as I don't want anything larger than 38mm!

Best regards,

Tony C.