English: Question about newly bought IWC 3234 during COVID-19

• Hello, I am sorry if some of the questions has been posted before - my German is limited. As described, I bought a an IWC 3234 from Chrono24 and I wonder as many others when buying used watches, if it seems legitimate. I uploaded pictures that I think might be useful. Also, is the wear and tear found on the deployment clasp normal?

I have had the watch checked peripherally by authorised non IWC watchmakers, who have said it seems legit but is in need of a service.

However, to the pandemic I am in a hurry to collect as much information as possible because of the 2 weeks time limit to notify chrono24 in case something is wrong, and there is no possibility to have it checked by an authorised IWC service where I am.

Thank you in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Moin,

zum Vergleich, aus dem Katalog IWC 2008, am Textilband

Das Werk, in den Bildern vom TS, sieht original aus. Hier war wohl ein Feld-Wald-Wiesen-Uhrmacher am Werk.

Band & Schließe sehen auch original aus, wobei die Schließe wohl sehr gelitten hat.

Das Gehäuse & Band sind wohl mal unsachgemäß bearbeitet wurden, so wie das aussieht.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looking at the dial, case, and movement, I see no indication for a fake - given that this model has not been remotely a big seller, I would also see no reason for anyone investing a lot of money in a good fake. You have the ceramic bezel that is not easy to do and you can see the functional parts of the movement (Pellaton winding, shock absorber), which no one would fake.

Bracelets could generally be faked (such fakes exist) and as this watch usually sells on a textile strap I would not totally exclude it as your pictures are too blurry for a proper assessment. But my initial thought would be that this watch and the bracelet needs just a very thorough cleaning as the previous owner has not done this. And if this watch comes from a dealer, this would be a sign of unprofessionalism.

Regarding the service: I guess I see a few small black particles in the movement (e.g., on the Pellaton wheel). This would be a warning sign that a service is imminent - keep in mind that such a full service would cost about 800 Euros.

Best regards,

Christian

• BSBV - thank you for sharing that image, I picked this watch partly because I am not a fan of the original strap, plus the price was quite appealing ;)

Based on your pictures your watch is 99% genuine one.

In case you don't have a paperwork it's always the best to send it to IWC for a service ;)

All the best

Cheers for your feedback! :respect:
    No papers unfortunately so my idea is to send it to IWC for a full service and a check for authenticity would be included I suppose. How long time do they take normally to service the likes of this watch? All the best!

1. Thank you Christian for taking your time to give some feedback and input :lupe:

2. The watch came from a dealer who didn't have the opportunity to take care of it due to the pandemic, as the watch was stored in another country awaiting a live auction.

As for the black particles on the movement - very well spotted. I too noticed them and hope they will not require replacement, just a cleaning. As for 800 EUR it is something I had in mind, however the lady at IWC said that prices start at around 500 EUR including polishing. Do you see something else that could increase the price? Best regards to you too! I.Z

Seems to be legit for me too, but in poor shape. On Chrono24, sellers are trustworthy in my experience, because they seek to maintain their reputation. Still I am wondering why you buy the watch if you have any doubts? Is it such a bargain?

So I heard, the seller is also a "professional dealer". Although I am one of his first customers via chrono24. : Twitter:

I managed to get a good price compared to what I've found on the internet. I am a fan of Genta generally, and this particular piece with a SS bracelet and 80111 caliber made it super appealing. (-25% of average). Then again, not serviced, no papers. Other listings I've seen have been ready to use pieces. Thank you for the feedback!:hut:

• Offizieller Beitrag

BSBV - thank you for sharing that image, I picked this watch partly because I am not a fan of the original strap, plus the price was quite appealing ;)

Then the price must have been really very attractive. ;)

And, the textile tape is not that bad. I have both straps for my IWC Inge 3228. Stainless steel and textile.

• Hi there - seems to be an authentic watch in an improvable condition. ;)

A full service @ IWC is highly recommended, although it will take a lot of time until you receive the watch back. And hopefully the price you paid was low enough to justify the service cost - which normally are really remarkable...

• Cheers for your feedback! :respect:
    No papers unfortunately so my idea is to send it to IWC for a full service and a check for authenticity would be included I suppose. How long time do they take normally to service the likes of this watch? All the best!

You're welcome. You need to count 4 up to 8 weeks. Depending on the workload they have.